Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fall Favorites

Autumn is definitely in the air here in SW Minnesota. Trees have turned, pumpkins are perched on our doorstep, flower beds have been laid to rest, and shivers are felt at the morning bus stop. As fall sets in, I find myself seeking all things that are cozy and warm. Doodle and I enjoy our morning routine snuggling in front of the fireplace while getting ready for school. I also find my dinner dishes have turned from all things made on the barbecue to cozy fall dishes. I've broken out some of my favorites this week:


Wild Rice Soup
Spaghetti
Spaghetti with Roasted Tomatoes
GF DF Apple Crisp 
Hot Dish
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
and Easy Chili especially get me in the mood for Autumn.

Easy Chili

1 Pound Ground Beef
1 Pound Italian Sausage
1 small onion - diced
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 Tbsp Chipotle Chili Powder
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1 can Organic Kidney Beans
1 can Organic Black Beans
2 cans Organic Italian Style Tomatoes

1. Brown ground beef and Italian sausage in a large pot. Add diced onions and minced garlic.
2. Add seasonings. Pour in kidney beans, black beans and tomatoes. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Serves 6-8.

We like to eat this chili with corn chips or some gluten free corn bread. The Italian Sausage gives the chili a little kick - so adjust the Chipotle Chili powder to your own taste - it can get a bit too spicy if you use too much.

Doodle has her first Kindergarten conferences on Tuesday. I'm anxious to see how she is doing this school year. We continue to work hard on her recovery and the progress has been wonderful. She's actually reading parts of stories to me - I feared she wouldn't have the concentration to sit and read a book - but have been wonderfully surprised by how quickly she is catching on!  Look for an upcoming post on progress once I hear the report.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there - I just found your blog. My daughter is allergic to dairy, gluten and egg so I and am looking forward to trying some of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby - Hope you find something you like...can't imagine having to eliminate eggs from my daughter's diet. It's her favorite food!

    ReplyDelete