Sunday, September 13, 2009

Spaghetti with Roasted Tomato Sauce


I love to make my own tomato sauce for spaghetti night. Today, after church, I discovered I was completely out of canned tomatoes - so I had to improvise and use regular tomatoes. I tried roasting the tomatoes with onion and garlic in the oven before mashing it into a sauce. The roasting brings out the flavor of the garlic and onions to give the sauce a nice full body. Doodle wasn't thrilled with the onions, but otherwise liked the sauce. As always, I made the sauce with Italian Sausage, as I feel this is the best meat for spaghetti sauce. Here's the recipe:


8-10 Roma Tomatoes sliced into wedges
1/2 Large Onion sliced into wedges
3-5 Cloves Garlic
1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Organic Chicken Broth (I use Pacific Organic Free Range Chicken Broth)
1 Tbsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1 Package Bulk Italian Sausage
1 Package Gluten Free Pasta

1. Set oven to Broil. On a large baking sheet place sliced tomatoes, onion wedges, and peeled garlic cloves. Add Red Pepper Flakes and Sea Salt to taste. Toss with 2-3 Tbsp's of Olive Oil. Place under Broiler for 20 minutes - stir occasionally.

2. Prepare pasta according to package directions.

3. In a sauce pan cook bulk Italian Sausage until completely browned. Set aside in a bowl.

4. Remove tomato mixture from oven and place in sauce pan. With a Potato masher, mash the tomato mixture - especially the garlic to release the flavor. Add Chicken Broth, Oregano, and Basil. Stir for 2-3 minutes until sauce becomes thick. Add Italian Sausage.

5. Serve with Gluten Free Pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment