Sunday, April 25, 2010

Strawberry Ice Cream

Ok- so life is super busy this spring time. I'm so enjoying the early spring that has arrived in Minnesota this year. It's such a rare treat, that I haven't spent much time thinking about this blog. Well, today is rainy, cold and pretty dreary, so I thought I would catch up.

First, we had an awesome IEP conference with Doodle's Special Ed team. I'm happy to report that she will not need OT and Speech Therapy next year (but am appreciative of all of their help the past 2 years!). She will continue with limited special ed intervention next year and physical therapy 1 day a week. I'm so pleased with her progress!

As I mentioned the other day, we made the best dairy free strawberry ice cream. It was rich, creamy, and tasted just like the real thing. Here's the recipe:

Strawberry Ice Cream

3 Cups Coffee Rich Non-Dairy Creamer
1 small package Rich Whip
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/8 tsp Xanthan Gum
3 Cups Strawberries - sliced
1/4 Cup Agave Nectar
1/2 Cup Sugar

1. Add Sugar and Agave Nectar to the sliced strawberries. Macerate for 1-2 hours.
2. In the mean time, combine Non-Dairy Creamer, Rich Whip, Sugar, and Xanthan Gum in bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Mash strawberries and drain juice into cream mixture. Set aside strawberries
4. Place in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instruction.
5. About 5 minutes before ice cream is complete, add in strawberry mixture. Once complete, remove from bowl and freeze for 2 hours.
6. Let thaw slightly before serving - enjoy!

On a final note, I was very brave this week and asked the food company I work for if they were considering developing any Gluten Free products. To my surprise, the CEO admitted they were behind the times on these products! I volunteered to talk with the marketing organization about my experience. We'll see if it helps them understand the need for natural, allergy friendly foods! Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment