Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust

Turkey day is over and my fridge continues to be stuffed with too many leftovers. I went over board on the desserts this year - not wanting Doodle to feel left out when it came to the dessert table, I made her 2 allergy friendly pies, on top of the cheesecake and regular pumpkin I made for every one else. For Doodle's desserts, I made one with a gluten free pie crust and one gluten free graham cracker crust. The GF pie crust was a disaster! It was hard as a rock once baked and I could barely cut through it. I took this straight from a recipe book, but will have to experiment with my own version for the next time I try to make a pie. The GF graham cracker crust, however, turned out perfectly. It was the perfect crust for the dairy free pumpkin pie I made. I'll definitely use this recipe again.

Gluten Free Graham Cracker Crust

1 package GF Graham Crackers
1/4 cup Dairy Free Butter - melted
1/4 cup Sugar

1. Place GF Graham Crackers and sugar in a food processor and pulse into a fine crumb.
2. With food processor running, slowly pour in melted butter.
3. Once butter in incorporated stop food processor. You may need to stir the cracker mixture to fully incorporate the butter.
4. Place in pie pan, tart pan, or cheesecake pan. Use the bottom of a glass or measuring cup to pat the crumbs and even out the crust.
5. Cook on 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and chill.
6. Fill with your favorite pie filling and enjoy!

For Doodle's pie, I filled it with the pumpkin pie recipe from the Kid Friendly ADHD and Autism Cookbook - one of the first GF/DF cookbooks that I purchased. I was pleasantly surprised at the texture and taste of the filling - it rivaled that of a regular pumpkin pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment