Sunday, November 1, 2009

Gluten Free Banana Bread

My girls used to gobble up a bunch of banana's in a matter of days. I typically buy 2 bunches of organic banana's and, in our household, that will last about 4 days. So, this past week when I went grocery shopping, I didn't think twice when I added banana's to my cart. To my surprise, they just sat on the counter - no one touched them all week. Needless to say, I now have some very ripe banana's and a perfect opportunity to make some banana bread.



Growing up, my mother always made the best banana bread around. It was delicious! I have adapted dear old mom's famous banana bread and made this recipe gluten and dairy free for Doodle. The loaf just came out of the oven and it smells wonderful - tastes great too. Moist, flavorful, and just like I remember mom's.

Gluten Free Banana Bread

1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar
4 T Dairy Free Shortening
1 Egg
3/4 Cup Almond Milk (or other milk substitute)
3 1/2 Cups GF Flour Blend
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 T & 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
3 over-ripe banana's - mashed

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 bread loaf pans.
2. Mix sugar, agave nectar, shortening, and egg with a mixer.
3. Add in almond milk and banana's with mixer.
4. Blend dry ingredients in until combined.
5. Split mixture between prepared loaf pans. Bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted in loaf comes out clean.

We served this bread right out of the oven with some dairy free butter. Next time around I may add some dairy free chocolate chips to the loaf - I'm sure it will add a nice flavor to the loaf.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment