Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The End Is Near

It's hard to believe, but Doodle has less than 2 days left of first grade! Where did the year go? I can't complain - it's been a wonderful journey this year. I was nervous for Doodle, as I always am, starting first grade. How would she do in her first year without an Individual Education Plan (IEP)? Would she keep up with her peers? Would she understand math, reading, language arts?

I need to learn to have more faith in Doodle, but it's my job, as a mother, to worry about her. Or at least that's what I tell myself! I have to say, I'm so proud of the way she met every single challenge this year and worked through her struggles. Math was definitely a tough one. I feel like we finally turned a corner on that one - her end of the year test she got only 6 wrong out of 44 questions! She went from failing at the beginning of this last quarter to getting only 6 wrong! It definitely helped to turn math into a game with her. Playing hide and seek math was one of her favorite challenges.  Here's how it works:

1. Create multiple flash cards of math problems (start simple)
2. Hide them throughout your house (I kept it fairly localized)
3. Set a timer
4. When your child finds a flashcard, they run back, hand you the card, and tell you the answer
5. Give your child a reward for each correct answer (I used jelly beans or stickers)

This summer we will have to keep math fresh in her mind. I don't want her losing everything she learned over first grade during the summer. I'm sure if I create some kind of incentive for her, she'll dive right in and keep it up. She'll be ready for whatever comes in second grade!

Cheers to a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment