Sunday, August 30, 2009

Warm & Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies


I just finished baking a batch of Doodle's favorite chocolate chip cookies. We love to eat them fresh out of the oven with a glass of Almond Milk. This summer I've baked these a few times when some neighbor kids are over - they gobble them right up and can't even tell that they are gluten and dairy free.

I adapted this recipe from my friend Lori. I don't like to give Doodle a lot of sugar and the original recipe just had too much sugar in it. I substituted a good deal of the sugar with Agave Nectar, as it has a much lower impact on blood sugar. I also like to keep her blood sugar regulated with plenty of protein, so I exchanged some of the flour for some protein powder. I buy a pea based protein powder from Kirkman Labs and add it in to most of my starch based cooking. We find that it keeps Doodle on an even keel and we have far fewer meltdowns this way.


Here's the recipe:

1 1/3 cups GF All Purpose Baking Flour
1/3 cup Pea Protein Powder (if your not using this, just add equivalent amount of flour)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1/2 Cup Non-dairy Shortening
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Vanilla
1 Egg
1 Cup Enjoy Life Dairy Free Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the Flour, Protein Powder, Baking Soda, and Xanthan Gum and whisk together. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat shortening, brown sugar, agave nectar, sugar, vanilla and egg until smooth. Slowly add in the flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Chill dough for 10 - 20 minutes.

Drop cookies onto greased baking sheets and bake 9-10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack.

Dip in a glass of refreshing Almond Milk and enjoy! These cookies will disappear before you know it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment